HTN: Omega-3 Fatty Acids (2007)
What is the relationship between omega-3 fatty acid intake and blood pressure in healthy and hypertensive adults?
Seven studies investigating increased consumption of omega-3 fatty acids have not demonstrated a beneficial effect on blood pressure.
- Grade I means there is good evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: What evidence suggests a relationship between omega-3 fatty acid intake and blood pressure in healthy and hypertensive adults?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Dokholyan, RS, Albert, CM, Appel LJ, Cook NR, Whelton PK, Hennekens, CH, A trial of omega-3 fatty acids for prevention of hyertension, Am J Cardiol. 2004, 93: 1,041-1,043.
- Dyerberg J, Eskesen DC, Andersen PW, Astrup A, Buemann B, Christensen JH, Clausen P, Rasmussen BF, Schmidt EB, Tholstrup T, Toft E, Toubro S, Stender S. Effects of trans- and n-3 unsaturated fatty acids on cardiovascular risk markers in healthy mailes. An 8 weeks dietary intervention study. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004; 58: 1,062-1,070.
- Harrison RA, Sagara M, Rajura A, Armitage L, Birt N, Birt CA, Yaori Y, Can foods with added soy-protein or fish-oil reduce risk factors for coronary disease? A factorial randomised controlled trial, Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2004, 14: 344-350.
- Kriketos AD, Robertson RM, Sharp TA, Drougas H, Reed GW, Storlien LH, Hill JO, Role of weight loss and polyunsaturated fatty acids in improving metabolic fitness in moderately obese, moderately hypertensive subjects, J of Hypertension. 2001 19: 1,745-1,754.
- Nestel P, Shige H, Pomeroy S, et al, The n-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid increase systemic arterial compliance in humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002, 76: 326-330.
- Rasmussen BM, Vessby B, Uusitupa M, Berglund L, Pedersen E, Riccardi G, Rivellese AA, Tapsell L, Hermansen K. Effects of dietary saturated, monounsaturated, and n-3 fatty acids on blood pressure in healthy subjects, Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 83: 221-226.
- Woodman RJ, Mori TA, Burke V, Puddey IB, Watts GF, Beilin LJ, Effects of purified eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids on glycemic control, blood pressure, and serum lipids in type 2 diabetic patients wih treated hypertension, Am J Clin Nutr. 76: 1,007-1,015, 2002.
Search Plan and Results: Omega-3 Fatty Acids 2005