HF: CoEnzyme Q10 (2007)
For the patient with heart failure, does CoEnzyme Q10 provides beneficial outcomes?
The majority of evidence available indicates that patients with heart failure may benefit from using CoEnzyme Q10. Six studies reported a benefit of using CoQ10. Five of these were of neutral quality and four contained small sample sizes. A larger systematic review, which included five placebo controlled, randomized design studies along with a meta-analysis, found four studies with positive outcomes with supplementation of CoQ10 in patients with HF. Outcomes from three of these four studies included a statistically significant increase in exercise tolerance and quality of life with a decrease in symptomolgy. One study (with a small sample size; n=46) found no benefit from CoQ10 in patients with heart failure.
- Grade I means there is good evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: Co-Enzyme Q10 and heart failure outcomes
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Baggio E, Gandini R, Plancher AC, Passeri M, Carmosino G. Italian multicenter study on the safety and efficacy of coenzyme Q10 as adjunctive therapy in heart failure. CoQ10 Drug Surveillance Investigators. Molec Aspects Med . 1994, 15 (Suppl): s287-s294.
- Berman M, Erman A, Ben-Gal T, Dvir D, Georghiou GP, Stamler A, Vered Y, Vidne BA, Aravot D. Coenzyme Q10 in patients with end-stage heart failure awaiting cardiac transplantation: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Clin Cardiol. 2004, 27: 295-299.
- Khatta M, Alexander BS, Krichten CM, Fisher ML, Freudenberger R, Robinson SW, Gottlieb SS. The effect of coenzyme Q10 in patients with congestive heart failure. Ann Intern Med. 2000,132: 636-640.
- Langsjoen H, Langsjoen P, Langsjoen P, Willis R, Folkers K. Usefulness of coenzyme Q10 in clinical cardiology: a long-term study. Molec Aspects Med. 1994; 15 (Suppl): s165-s175.
- Ma A, Zhang W, Liu Z. Effect of protection and repair of injury of mitochondrial membrane-phospholipid on prognosis in patients with dilated cardiomyopathy.Blood Pressure 5 (Suppl 3):53-55, 1996.
- Munkholm H, Hansen HH, Rasmussen K. Coenzyme Q10 treatment in serious heart failure. Biofactors. 1999;9(2-4):285-9
- Sacher HL, Sacher ML, Landau SW, Kersten R, Dooley F, Sacher A, Sacher M, Dietrick K, Ichkhan K. The clinical and hemodynamic effects of coenzyme Q10 in congestivecardiomyopathy. Am J Ther. 1997 Feb-Mar;4(2-3):66-72
- Shekelle P, Morton S, Hardy M. Effect of Supplemental Antioxidants Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Coenzyme Q10 for the Prevention and Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 83 (Prepared by Southern California–RAND Evidence Based Practice Center, under Contract No 290-97-0001). AHRQ Publication No. 03-E043. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. July 2003.
Search Plan and Results: Co Enzyme Q10 and Heart Failure 2006