EE: Mifflin-St. Jeor (2005)
In non-obese individuals, what is the prediction accuracy and maximum overestimation and understimation errors compared to measured resting metabolic rate when using the Mifflin-St.Jeor formula?
One study of high research quality design reported that the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation accurately predicted RMR within +/- 10% of measured RMR in 82% of non-obese adults. Of the remaining 18% errors, 10% were overestimations and 8% were underestimations. The individual error range was a maximum overestimate by 15% and underestimate by 18%, indicating a more even distribution and narrower variation (i.e., five and eight percent outside of the defined +/- 10% measure).
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: In non-obese individuals, what is the prediction accuracy and maximum overestimation and understimation errors compared to measured resting metabolic rate when using the Mifflin-St.Jeor formula?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Arciero PJ, Goran MI, Gardner AM, Ades PA, Tyzbir RS, Poehlman ET. A practical equation to predict resting metabolic rate in older females. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41 (4): 389-395.
- Arciero PJ, Goran MI, Gardner AW, Ades PA, Tyzbir RS, Poehlman ET. A practical equation to predict resting metabolic rate in older men. Metabolism. 1993; 42 (8): 950-957.
- De Lorenzo A, Tabliabue A, Andreoli A, Testolin G, Comelli M, Deurenberg P. Measured and predicted resting metabolic rate in Italian males and females, aged 18-59 y. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001; 55(3): 208-214.
- Frankenfield DC, Rowe WA, Smith JS, Cooney RN. Validation of several established equations for resting metabolic rate in obese and non-obese people. J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1,152-1,159.
- Garrel DR, Jobin N, deJonge LHM. Should we still use the Harris and Benedict equations? Nutr Clin Prac 1996; 11: 99-103.
- Heshka S, Feld K, Yang MU, Allison DB, Heymsfield SB. Resting energy expenditure in the obese: A cross-validation in the obese: A cross-validation and comparison of prediction equations. J Am Diet Assoc. 1993; 93 (9): 1,031-1,036.
- Liu HY, Lu YF, Chen WJ. Predictive equations for basal metabolic rate in Chinese adults: A cross-validation study. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95 (12): 1,403-1,408and Liu HY, Lu YF, Chen WJ. Validity of predictive equations for the calculation of basal metabolic rate in healthy Chinese adults. Chinese Nutr Soc. 1994; 19 (2): 141-150.
- Mifflin MD, St Jeor ST, Hill LA, Scott BJ, Daugherty SA, Koh YO. A new predictive equation for resting energy expenditure in healthy individuals. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990 Feb; 51 (2): 241-247.
- Scalfi L, Coltorti A, Sapio C, DiBiase G, Borrelli R, Contaldo F. Predicted and measured resting energy expenditure in healthy young women. Clin Nutr. 1993; 12: 1-7.
- Siervo M, Boschi V, Falconi C. Which REE prediction equation should we use in normal-weight, overweight and obese women? Clin Nutr. 2003; 22(2): 193-204.
- Taaffe DR, Thompson J, Butterfield G, Marcus R. Accuracy of equations to predict basal metabolic rate in older women. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95 (12): 1,387-1,392.