EE: Owen et al (2005)
In non-obese individuals, what is the prediction accuracy and maximum overestimation and understimation errors compared to measured resting metabolic rate when using the Owen et al formula?
The Owen, et al. equation predicted RMR within 10% of measured RMR in 73% of non-obese adults in a high quality research methods design; the remaining 27% included 6% overestimation and 21% underestimation errors. The individual error range was an overestimate by 28% to an underestimate of 24%, indicating a large variation.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: In non-obese individuals, what is the prediction accuracy and maximum overestimation and understimation errors compared to measured resting metabolic rate when using the Owen et al formula?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Arciero PJ, Goran MI, Gardner AM, Ades PA, Tyzbir RS, Poehlman ET. A practical equation to predict resting metabolic rate in older females. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1993; 41 (4): 389-395.
- Clark HD, Hoffer LJ. Reappraisal of the resting metabolic rate of normal young men. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991; 53: 21-26.
- De Lorenzo A, Tabliabue A, Andreoli A, Testolin G, Comelli M, Deurenberg P. Measured and predicted resting metabolic rate in Italian males and females, aged 18-59 y. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001; 55(3): 208-214.
- Frankenfield DC, Rowe WA, Smith JS, Cooney RN. Validation of several established equations for resting metabolic rate in obese and non-obese people. J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 1,152-1,159.
- Fredrix EWHM, Soeters PB, Deerenberg IM, Kester ADM, vonMeyenfeldt MF, Saris WHM, Resting and sleeping energy expenditure in the elderly. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1990; 44: 741-747.
- Garrel DR, Jobin N, deJonge LHM. Should we still use the Harris and Benedict equations? Nutr Clin Prac 1996; 11: 99-103.
- Heshka S, Feld K, Yang MU, Allison DB, Heymsfield SB. Resting energy expenditure in the obese: A cross-validation in the obese: A cross-validation and comparison of prediction equations. J Am Diet Assoc. 1993; 93 (9): 1,031-1,036.
- Liu HY, Lu YF, Chen WJ. Predictive equations for basal metabolic rate in Chinese adults: A cross-validation study. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95 (12): 1,403-1,408and Liu HY, Lu YF, Chen WJ. Validity of predictive equations for the calculation of basal metabolic rate in healthy Chinese adults. Chinese Nutr Soc. 1994; 19 (2): 141-150.
- Mifflin MD, St Jeor ST, Hill LA, Scott BJ, Daugherty SA, Koh YO. A new predictive equation for resting energy expenditure in healthy individuals. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990 Feb; 51 (2): 241-247.
- Owen OE, Holup JL, D'Alessio DA, Craig ES, Polansky M, Smalley KJ, Kavle EC, Bushman MC, Owen LR, Mozzoli MA, et al. A reappraisal of the caloric requirements of men. Am J Clin Nutr. 1987; 46: 875-885.
- Owen OE, Kavle E, Owen RS, Polansky M, Caprio S, Mozzoli MA, Kendrick ZV, Bushman MC, Boden G. A reappraisal of caloric requirements in healthy women. Am J Clin Nutr. 1986; 44: 1-19.
- Scalfi L, Coltorti A, Sapio C, DiBiase G, Borrelli R, Contaldo F. Predicted and measured resting energy expenditure in healthy young women. Clin Nutr. 1993; 12: 1-7.
- Taaffe DR, Thompson J, Butterfield G, Marcus R. Accuracy of equations to predict basal metabolic rate in older women. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995; 95 (12): 1,387-1,392.