ONC: Radiation Therapy (2007)
Is there a relationship between supplementation of antioxidant vitamin E, which may interact with radiation therapy treatment, tolerance of radiation therapy treatment and late-effects of radiation therapy treatment in patients with chronic radiation-induced fibrosis resulting from breast cancer treatment?
Research neither supports nor refutes the use of oral vitamin E supplementation for improved tolerance to or outcome of treatment in breast cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy. However, some evidence shows that oral supplementation of vitamin E may be beneficial in treating late-effects of radiation therapy treatment. One positive quality RCT found no effectiveness of oral vitamin E on the treatment of chronic RIF resulting from breast cancer treatment as measured by perometer. A study of neutral quality found an effect, but the fibrosis measurement methodology was not validated. Larger PRCTs with validated measures of radiation therapy effect are needed.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: Antioxidant E Oral Supplement in Patients with Breast Cancer Undergoing Radion Therapy:Chronic Radiation-Induced Fibrosis
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Delanian S, Porcher R, Rudant J, Lefaix J-L. Kinetics of response to long-term treatment combining pentoxifyllin and tocoperol in patients with superficial radiation-induced fibrosis. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2005; 23:8570-8579.
- Gothard L, Cornes P, Earl J, Hall E, MacLaren J, Mortimer P, Peacock J, Peckitt C, Woods M, Yarnold J. Double-blind placebo-controlled randomized trial of vitamin E and pentoxifylline in patients with chronic arm lymphoedema and fibrosis after surgery and radiotherapy for breast cancer. Radiotherapy and Oncology 2004, 73: 133-139.
Search Plan and Results: Antioxidants and Radiation Therapy 2006