AWM: Specific Topic Search Methods (2006)
Search Criteria and Results for Specific Topics
Each evidence analysis topic has a link to supporting evidence, where the Search Plan and Results can be found. Here, you can view when the search plan was performed, inclusion and exclusion criteria, search terms, databases that were searched and the excluded articles.
Below are a list of the recommendations and the related evidence analysis questions, with the link to each search plan. Search methods for the recommendations, based on NHLBI evidence analysis, can be found at http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/e_txtbk/txgd/40.htm.
· Nutritional assessment and treatment of adult obesity
- AWM R.1 Use of BMI in Classification of Obesity (NHLBI)
- AWM R.2 Optimal Length of Weight Management Therapy (NHLBI)
- AWM R.3 Comprehensive Weight Management Program (NHLBI)
- AWM R.4 Realistic Weight Goal Setting (NHLBI)
- AWM R.5 Determination of Energy Needs
- No Search Plan Available (Sort list completed 3/29/05)
· Dietary interventions
- AWM R.6 Low Calorie Diets (NHLBI)
- AWM R.7 Eating Frequency and Patterns
- AWM R.8 Portion Control
§ How effective (in terms of client adherence and weight loss and maintenance) is reducing portion size as a strategy?
Search Plan and Results
- AWM R.9 Meal Replacements
- How effective (in terms of client adherence and weight loss and maintenance) are meal replacements (liquid meals, meal bars, frozen prepackaged meals)?
- AWM R.10 Nutrition Education
- Do interventions focused on healthy cooking techniques (including recipe modification) result in improved eating habits?
- What is the relationship between reading nutrition information (including Nutrition Facts on the food label) and selecting healthier food choices?
· Selected dietary approaches
- AWM R.11a Low Glycemic Diets
- How effective (in terms of weight loss and maintenance) is the consumption of low glycemic index foods?
- AWM R.11b High Calcium
- How effective (in terms of client adherence and weight loss and maintenance) is the High Calcium (Dairy) diet?
- AWM R.11c Low Carb Diet
- How effective (in terms of weight loss and maintenance) are low carbohydrate diets (defined as <35% kcals from carbohydrates)?
· Physical activity interventions
- AWM R.12 Physical Activity (NHLBI)
· Behavioral interventions
- AWM R.13 Behavioral Treatment Includes Multimodal Strategies (NHLBI)
· FDA-approved medications for weight loss
- AWM R.14 Medication as Part of a Comprehensive Program (NHLBI)
· Bariatric surgery
- AWM R.15 Bariatric Surgery for Weight Loss (NHLBI)