Chronic Kidney Disease
Welcome to the Chronic Kidney Disease Guideline and Systematic Review. The focus of this guideline is on medical nutrition therapy (MNT) for adults with chronic kidney disease (CKD stages 1 - 5, including post kidney transplant) not on dialysis. Highlights of this project include:
This project is in the process of being updated in collaboration with the National Kidney Foundation. Anticipated publication of evidence-based guidelines is fall 2017.
- Target population of adults
- Four (4) sub-topics with 20 evidence analysis questions. Use the links on the left to access the evidence analysis questions and conclusions.
- Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guidelines were published in 2010.
- Several resources were developed. Please expand the section below for details.
- Project Resources
The following resources based on this project were developed:
- Academy CKD Guideline Presentation - this 64-slide MS PowerPoint presentation includes all recommendations and ratings of the 2010 CKD evidence-based nutrition practice guidelines. Ideal for use for meetings, in-service presentations and classes (not designed for the consumer). Click to purchase.
- Chronic Kidney Disease Toolkit is designed to assist the registered dietitian in applying the Academy's 2010 Chronic Kidney Disease Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guidelines. The toolkit includes materials such as interactive sample documentation forms, interactive sample documentation forms, encounter process instructions, outcomes monitoring forms, case studies and client education resources. PDF format; 179 pages. Click to purchase.
- Project Team
The following individuals contributed their valuable time and expertise to this project:
Former Workgroup Members
- Jessie Pavlinac, MS, RD, CSR, LD, Chair
- Arianna Aoun, MS, RD, CSR, LD
- Laura Byham-Gray, PhD, RD
- Carolyn C. Cochran, MS, RD, LD, CDE
- Barbara A. Hutson, RD, LD
- Joni Pagenkemper, MS, MA, RD, LMNT, CDE
Lead Evidence Analyst
- Pamela S. Kent, MS, RD, CSR, LD
- Jinette S. Lichter, RD, LMNT
- Cathi J. Martin, RD, CSR, LDN
- Erica K. Gradwell, MS, RD
- Carly D. Gustafson, MS, RD, CD, LDN
- Haewook Han, PhD, RD, LDN
- Jodi A. Kingley, MS, RD, CNSD
- Francoise Knox Kazimierczuk, MS, RD
- Linda Massey, PhD, RD
- Christiane Meireles, PhD, RD, LD
- Carmen Tatum, MS, RD, CSP
- Elisa Trigalo, RD, MS
- Lee S. Wallace, MS, RD, FADA
- Madelyn L. Wheeler, MS, RD, FADA
- Karen Basinger, RD
- Debbie Benner, MA, RD, CSR
- Jerrilyn Burrowes, PhD, RD, CDN
- Louise Clement, MS,RD, CSR, LD
- Charles J.Foulks, MD,FACP,FACN
- Kathy Schiro Harvey, MS, RD, CSR
- Maria Karalis, MBA, RD, LDN
- Pamela S.Kent, MS, RD, CSR, LD
- Elizabeth Kern, MD, MS
- Nadiya Lakhani, RD, LD
- Maureen McCarthy, MPH, RD,CSR, LD
- Sharon R. Schatz, MS, RD, CSR, CDE
Disclosures of Potential Conflicts of Interest
- Deborah Cummins, PhD
- Kari Kren, MPH, RD
- Joan Schwaba, MS, RD, LDN
- Esther F. Myers, PhD, RD
: In the interest of full disclosure, the Academy has adopted the policy of revealing relationships workgroup members have with companies that sell products or services that are relevant to this topic. Workgroup members are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest by completing the Academy Conflict of Interest Form. It should not be assumed that these financial interests will have an adverse impact on the content, but they are noted here to fully inform readers.
- None of the workgroup members listed above disclosed potential conflicts.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics