Welcome to the Nutrition and Physical Activity Project
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) and the American Council on Exercise (ACE) are collaborating on the development of evidence-based guidelines on the topic of nutrition and physical activity. The work will be conducted in three phases:
- Phase I: Nutrition and physical activity for the general population
- Phase II: Nutrition and physical activity for student athletes
- Phase III: Nutrition and physical activity for competitive athletes
Each phase will include a scoping review, systematic review and evidence-based nutrition practice guideline. The work will be conducted by multidisciplinary teams of experts from both fields and organizations following the Academy's methodology.
Overarching Research Question for the Three Phases
In non/recreational athletes, student athletes and elite athletes, what is the extent, range and nature of literature examining intervention methods to maintain or improve both nutrition and physical activity and related outcomes?
The scoping review for the first phase started in January 2020. Use the links on the left to view the details. Expand the section below titled Nutrition and Physical Activity for the General Population Scoping Review Project Team and Disclosures for a listing of individuals who contributed to the development of the review, disclosures, and project funding information.
- Nutrition and Physical Activity for the General Population Scoping Review Project Team and Disclosures (2020)
The following individuals contributed their valuable time and expertise to the review:
- Mary R. Rozga, PhD, RDN
Nutrition Researcher, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Chicago, IL, USA
- Amy M. Yahiro, MS, RD, LDN
Evidence-Based Medicine Manager, North American Spine Society, Burr Ridge, IL, USA
- Deepa Handu, PhD, RDN
Senior Scientist, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Chicago, IL, USA
- Michelle Fiander, MA, MLIS
Fiander Consulting, Halifax, NS, Canada
- Kelly R. Jones, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN
Owner, Kelly Jones Nutrition, LLC, Newtown, PA, USA
- Janet Peterson, DrPH, RDN, RCEP, WEMT, FACSM
Professor, Health and Human Performance, Linfield College, McMinnville, OR, USA
- Justin Robinson, MA, RDN, CSSD, CSCS. TSAC-F- FAFS
Human Performance Dietitian, Naval Special Warfare Center, Coronado, CA, USA
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Council on Exercise
The views or interests of the funding bodies did not influence the development of this review.
Disclosures of Potential Conflicts of Interest: In the interest of full disclosure, the Academy has adopted the policy of revealing relationships workgroup members and content advisors have with companies that sell products or services that are relevant to this topic. Workgroup members and content advisors are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest by completing the Academy Conflict of Interest Form. It should not be assumed that these financial interests will have adverse impact on the content, but they are noted here to fully inform readers:
- Jones K: Received compensation for speaking services from Honey Stinger, The Wonderful Company, Newtown Athletic Club, and various high school and college teams.
- Peterson J: received travel reimbursement expenses from ACEND for services as an accreditation reviewer.
- Robinson J: received travel and meeting reimbursement for Hawaii AND annual meeting speaker (2019) and California AND annual meeting speaker (2020)
- Mary R. Rozga, PhD, RDN