UM: Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) and Adverse Effects (2013)
What are the adverse effects associated with consumption of monosodium glutamate (MSG)?
In healthy adults, four studies showed inconsistent results on the presence of reactions after ingestion of monosodium glutamate (MSG). In children or adults with chronic urticaria (two studies), ingestion of MSG did not worsen symptoms. In adults with asthma (two studies), ingestion of MSG did not worsen symptoms.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: What are the adverse effects associated with consumption of monosodium glutamate (MSG)?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Baad-Hansen L, Cairns B, Ernberg M, Svensson P. Effect of systemic monosodium glutamate (MSG) on headache and pericranial muscle sensitivity. Cephalagia, 2010; 30 (1): 68-76.
- Ehlers I, Niggemann B, Binder C, Zuberbier T. Role of nonallergic hypersensitivity reactions in children with chronic urticaria. Allergy. 1998; 53(11): 1,074-1,077.
- Geha RS, Beise A, Ren C, Patterson R, Greenberger PA, Grammer LC, Ditto AM, Harris KE, Shaughnessy MA, Yarnold PR, Corren J, Saxon A. Multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-challenge evaluation of reported reactions to monosodium glutamate. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2000; 106(5): 973-980.
- Prawirohardjono W, Dwiprahasto I, Astuti I, Hadiwandowo S, Kristin E, Muhammad M, Kelly MF. The administration to Indonesians of monosodium L-glutamate in Indonesian foods: An assessment of adverse reactions in a randomized double-blind, crossover, placebo-controlled study. J Nutr. 2000; 130(4S Suppl): 1,074S-1,076S.
- Simon RA. Additive-induced urticaria: Experience with monosodium glutatmate (MSG). J Nutr. 2000; 130(4S): 1,063S-1,066S.
- Woessner KM, Simon RA, Stevenson DD. Monosodium glutamate sensitivity in asthma. J Allergy. 1999; 104 (2, Pt 1): 305-310.
- Woods RK, Weiner JM, Thien F, Abramson M, Walters EH.The effects of monosodium glutamate in adults with asthma who perceive themselves to be monosodium glutamate-intolerant. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1998; 101(6, Pt 1) June: 762-771.
- Yang WH, Drouin MA, Herbert M, Mao Y, Karsh J. The monosodium glutamate symptom complex: Assessment in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1997; (6Pt 1): 757-762.
Search Plan and Results: UM: Umami Compounds and Adverse Effects 2012