DM: Weight Management (2001)
Nutrition Practice guidelines for Type 1 and 2 Diabetes: Weight Management (2001)
Reduction of energy intake and weight loss independently improve insulin sensitivity in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus in the short-term. In addition, weight loss decreases serum lipids, fasting blood glucose, A1C, and abdominal fat in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Weight loss and maintenance requires intensive lifestyle programs with consistent long-term contact. (2001)
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: Type 1 and 2 Diabetes: Weight Management
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Anderson JW, Konz EC, Frederich RC, Wood CL. Long-term weight-loss maintenance: a meta-analysis of US studies. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001;74:579-584.
- Brown SA, Upchurch S, Anding R, Winter M, Ramirez G. Promoting weight loss in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1996;19(6):613-624.
- Heilbronn LK, Noakes M, Clifton PM. Effect of energy restriction, weight loss, and diet composition on plasma lipids and glucose in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 1999;21:889-895.
- Hollander PA, Elbein SC, Hirsch IB, Kelley D, McGill J, Taylor T, Weiss SR, Crockett SE, Kaplan RA, Comstock J, Lucas CP, Lodewick PA, Canovatchel W, Chung J, Hauptman J. Role of orlistat in the treatment of obese patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1998;21:1288-1294.
- Kelley DE, Wing R, Buonocore C, Sturis J, Polonsky K, Fitzsimmons M. Relative effects of calorie restriction and weight loss in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1993;77:1287-1293.
- Klem ML, Wing RR, McGuire MT, Seagle HM, Hill JO. A descriptive study of individuals successful at long-term maintenance of substantial weight loss. Am J Clin Nutr. 1997;66:239-246.
- Markovic TP, Campbell LV, Balasubramanian S, Jenkins AB, Fleury AC, Simons LA, Chisholm DJ. Beneficial effect on average lipid levels from energy restriction and fat loss in obese individuals with or without type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1998;21:695-700.
- Redmon JB, Raatz SK, Kwong CA, Swanson JE, Thomas W, Bantle JP. Pharmacologic induction of weight loss to treat type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 1999;22:896-903.
- Watts NB, Spanheimer RG, DiGirolamo M, Gebhart SSP, Musey VC, Siddiq YK, Phillips LS. Prediction of glucose response to weight loss in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:803-806.
- Wing RR, Koeske R, Epstein LH, Nowalk MP, Gooding W, Becker D. Long-term effects of modest weight-loss in type II diabetic patients. Arch Intern Med. 1987;147:1749-1753.
- Wylie-Rosett J, Swencionis C, Ginsberg M, Cimino C, Wassertheil-Smoller S, Caban A, Segal-Isaacson CJ, Martin T, Lewis J. Computerized weight loss intervention optimizes staff time: the clinical and cost results of a controlled clinical trial conducted in a managed care setting. J Am Diet Assoc. 2001; 101:1155-1162.