FJ: Markers of Antioxidant and Oxidant Status in Adults (2014)
What is the association between intake of 100% fruit juice and markers of antioxidant and oxidant status in adults?
Limited evidence based on inconsistent methodology suggests that it is unclear whether 100% fruit juice consumed by adults alters markers of antioxidant and oxidant status.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
- High (A) means we are very confident that the true effect lies close to that of the estimate of the effect;
- Moderate (B) means we are moderately confident in the effect estimate;
- Low (C) means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited;
- Very Low (D) means we have very little confidence in the effect estimate.
- Ungraded means a grade is not assignable.
Evidence Summary: What is the association between intake of 100% fruit juice and markers of antioxidant and oxidant status in adults?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Bub A, Watzl B, Blockhaus M, Briviba K, Liegibel U, Müller H, Pool-Zobel BL, Rechkemmer G.. Fruit juice consumption modulates antioxidative status, immune status and DNA damage. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 2003; 14:90-98
- Buscemi S, Rosafio G, Arcoleo G, Mattina A, Canino B, Montana M, Verga S, Rini G.. Effects of red orange juice intake on endothelial function and inflammatory markers in adult subjects with increased cardiovascular risk. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012; 95:1,089-1,095
- Freedman JE, Parker C, Li L, Perlman JA, Frei B, Ivanov V, Deak LR, Iafrati MD, Folts JD.. Select flavonoids and whole juice from purple grapes inhibit platelet function and enhance nitric oxide release. Circulation. 2001; 103:2,792-2,798
- Ghanim H, Sia CL, Upadhyay M, Upadhyay M, Korzeniewski K, Viswanathan P, Abuaysheh S, Mohanty P, Dandona P.. Orange juice neutralizes the proinflammatory effect of a high-fat, high-carbohydrate meal and prevents endotoxin increase and Toll-like receptor expression. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2010; 91:940-949
- Gorinstein S, Caspi A, Libman I, Katrich E, Lerner HT, Trakhtenberg S.. Fresh Israeli Jaffa Sweetie juice consumption improves lipid metabolism and increases antioxidant capacity in hypercholesterolemic patients suffering from coronary artery disease: Studies in vitro and in humans and positive changes in albumin and fibrinogen fractions. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2004; 52:5,215-5,222
- Inoue T, Komoda H, Uchida T, Node K.. Tropical fruit camu-camu (Myrciaria dubia) has anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties. Journal of Cardiology. 2008; 52:127-132
- Karlsen A, Paur I, Bøhn S, Sakhi AK, Borge GI, Serafini M, Erlund I, Laake P, Tonstad S, Blomhoff R.. Bilberry juice modulates plasma concentration of NF-kappaB related inflammatory markers in subjects at increased risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). European Journal of Nutrition. 2010; 49:345-355
- Ko SH, Choi SW, Ye SK, Cho BL, Kim HS, Chung MH.. Comparison of the antioxidant activities of nine different fruits in human plasma. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2005; 8:41-46
- Rock W, Rosenblat M, Miller-Lotan R, Levy AP, Elias M, Aviram M.. Consumption of Wonderful variety pomegranate juice and extract by diabetic patients increases paraoxonase 1 association with high-density lipoprotein and stimulates its catalytic activities. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 2008; 56:8,704-8,713
- Rowe CA, Nantz MP, Nieves C, West RL, Percival SS. . Regular consumption of Concord grape juice benefits human immunity. Journal of Medicinal Food. 2011; 14:69-78
- Snyder SM, Reber JD, Freeman BL, Orgad K, Eggett DL, Parker TL.. Controlling for sugar and ascorbic acid, a mixture of flavonoids matching navel oranges significantly increases human postprandial serum antioxidant capacity. Nutrition Research (New York, NY). 2011; 31:519-526
Search Plan and Results: FJ: Fruit Juice and Markers of Antioxidant and Oxidant Status in Adults 2013