UM: Umami Compounds and Sodium (2013)
Without sacrificing taste, what is the effect of adding umami compounds (such as monosodium glutamate [MSG]) or foods rich in umami (such as soy sauce, fish sauce, etc.) on the sodium content in foods and/or sodium intake?
The addition of umami compounds or foods rich in umami, allows for reductions in sodium content of foods (reported as sodium chloride) without sacrificing taste, liking and pleasantness. However, the resulting reduction in sodium may vary depending on the type of food consumed, as well as the amount and type of umami compounds present. Overall dietary intake of sodium was not evaluated in these studies.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: Without sacrificing taste, what is the effect of adding umami compounds (such as monosodium glutamate [MSG]) or foods rich in umami (such as soy sauce, fish sauce, etc.) on the sodium content in foods and/or sodium intake?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Ball P, Woodward D, Beard T, Shoobridge A, Ferrier M. Calcium diglutamate improves taste characteristics of lower-salt soup. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2002; 56(6): 519-523.
- Carter BE, Monsivais P, Drewnowski A. The sensory optimum of chicken broths supplemented with calcium di-glutamate: A possibility for reducing sodium while maintaining taste. Food Quality and Preference, 2011; 22: 699-703.
- Kremer S, Mojet J, Shimojo R. Salt reduction in foods using naturally brewed soy sauce. J Food Sci. 2009; 74(6): S255-S262.
- Manabe M. Saltiness enhancement by the characteristic flavor of dried bonito stock. J Food Sci. 2008; 73(6): S321-S325.
- Manabe M, Ishizaki S, Yoshioka T, Oginome N. Improving the palatability of salt-reduced food using dried bonito stock. J Food Sci. 2009; 74(7): S315-S321.
- Okiyama A, Beauchamp GK. Taste dimensions of monosodium glutamate (MSG) in a food system: Role of glutamate in young American subjects. Physiol Behav. 1998; 65(1): 177-181.
- Roininen K, Lahteenmaki L, Tuorila H. Effect of umami taste on pleasantness of low-salt soups during repeated testing. Physiol Behav. 1996; 60(3): 953-958.
Search Plan and Results: UM: Umami Compounds and Sodium 2012