UWL: Medical Nutrition Therapy (2007)
What is the evidence regarding Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) in older adults with unintended weight loss?
Five studies were evaluated regarding Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) in older adults with unintended weight loss. One study reported that the prevalence of underweight or unintended weight loss may be as high as 35%. Four studies report that individualized nutrition care, directed by a Registered Dietitian on the healthcare team, results in improved outcomes related to increased energy, protein and nutrient intakes, improved nutritional status, improved quality of life and/or weight gain.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) in older adults with unintended weight loss
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Faxen-Irving G, Andren-Olsson B, Af Geijerstam A, Basun H, Cederholm T. The effect of nutritional intervention in elderly subjects residing in group-living for the demented. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2002; 56(3): 221-227.
- Keller HH, Gibbs AJ, Boudreau LD, Goy RE, Pattillo MS, Brown HM. Prevention of weight loss in dementia with comprehensive nutritional treatment. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003; 51(7): 945-952.
- Mamhidir AG, Ljundggren G, Kihlgren M, Kihlgren A, Wimo A. Underweight, weight loss and related risk factors among older adults in sheltered housing: A Swedish follow-up study. J Nutr Health Aging. 2006; 10(4): 255-262.
- Payette H, Boutier V, Coulombe C, Gray-Donald K. Benefits of nutritional supplementation in free-living, frail, undernourished elderly people: A prospective randomized community trial. J Am Diet Assoc. 2002; 1,002: 1,088-1,095.
- Splett PL, Roth-Yousey LL, Vogelzang JL. Medical nutrition therapy for the prevention and treatment of unintentional weight loss in residential healthcare facilities. J Am Diet Assoc. 2003; 103: 352-362.
Search Plan and Results: Medical Nutrition Therapy 2008