TN: MNT Effectiveness Using Different Delivery Methods (2012)
Telenutrition and MNT Effectiveness
What is the effectiveness of Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) provided using different delivery methods (to include in-person, phone, Internet, email, videoconferencing, etc.)?
Limited evidence showed no significant differences in outcomes between telehealth and traditional in-person sessions. Further research comparing delivery methods in the same study is needed.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: What is the effectiveness of MNT provided face-to-face compared with non-face-to-face methods (to include phone, Internet, e-mail, etc.)?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Haugen HA, Tran ZV, Wyatt HR, Barry MJ, Hill JO. Using telehealth to increase participation in weight management programs. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007; 15(12): 3067-3077.
- Touger-Decker R, Denmark R, Bruno M, O'Sullivan-Maillet J, Lasser N. Workplace weight loss program; comparing live and internet methods. J Occup Environ Med. 2010; 52(11): 1112-1118.
Search Plan and Results: TN: Comparative Effectiveness of MNT by Method 2011