EE: Caffeine and Other Stimulants (2014)
How long should a healthy and non-critically ill individual refrain from consuming caffeine or other stimulants prior to an RMR measurement?
Based on the evidence reviewed, caffeine and other selected stimulants increase RMR for at least four hours in healthy adults. The duration of an increased RMR after ingestion of caffeine or other stimulants is unknown. Research identifying the duration of elevated RMR after ingestion of caffeine and other stimulants is needed.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: How long should a healthy and non-critically ill individual refrain from consuming caffeine or other stimulants prior to an RMR measurement?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Arciero PJ, Bougopoulos BC, Nindt, Benowitz NL. Influence of age on the thermic response to caffeine in women. Metabolism. 2000;49(1):101-107.
- Belza A, Frandsen E, Kondrup J. Body fat loss achieved by stimulation of thermogenesis by a combination of bioactive food ingredients: A placebo-controlled, double-blind eight-week intervention in obese subjects. Int J Obes (Lond). 2007; 31(1): 121-130.
- Belza A, Toubro S, Astrup A. The effect of caffeine, green tea and tyrosine on thermogenesis and energy intake. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009; 63(1): 57-64.
- Greenway FL, De Jonge L, Blanchard D, Frisard M, Smith SR. Effect of a dietary herbal supplement containing caffeine and ephedra on weight, metabolic rate, and body composition. Obes Res. 2004; 12(7): 1,152-1,127.
- Komatsu T, Nakamori M, Komatsu K, Hosoda K, Okamura M, Toyama K, Ishikura Y, Sakai T, Kunii D, Yamamoto S. Oolong tea increases energy metabolism in Japanese females. J Med Invest. 2003; 50(3-4): 170-175.
- Yoshida T, Sakane N, Umekawa T, Kondo M. Relationship between basal metabolic rate, thermogenic response to caffeine, and body weight loss following combined low calorie and exercise treatment in obese women. Int J Obesity 1994;18:345-350.
Search Plan and Results: EE: Caffeine and Stimulants in Healthy and Non-Critically Ill Individuals 2012