GDM: Insulin Therapy (2001)
Insulin Therapy (Gestational Diabetes Mellitus 2001)
Gestational Diabetes Medical Nutrition Therapy Protocol (2001)
The ADA 2001 Gestational Diabetes MNT Evidence-based guide for practice was originally published in a compact disk (CD) format. This 2001 project was published to the online Evidence Analysis Library for the benefit of ADA members, even though it does not follow the current online format and may be missing some of the components. (The current evidence analysis projects include the following components: question, conclusion, grade, search plan and results, evidence summary, overview table, worksheets, and quality check lists.)
Gestational Diabetes Mellitus Conclusion Statements: Insulin Therapy (2001 CD)
Insulin therapy is recommended in women with GDM when MNT and self-blood glucose monitoring have not been adequate to maintain desirable plasma glucose levels (fasting: <105 mg/dl; 1-hour postprandial <155 mg/dl or 2-hour postprandial <130 mg/dL) and to prevent excessive maternal weight gain, macrosomia and fetal morbidity and mortality.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
- Moderate (B) means we are moderately confident in the effect estimate;
- Low (C) means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited;
- Very Low (D) means we have very little confidence in the effect estimate.
- Ungraded means a grade is not assignable.
Evidence Summary: Gestational Diabetes and Insulin Therapy (2001 CD)
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- American Diabetes Association. Gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2002:25(1); S94-S96.
- Fagen C, King JD, Erick M. Nutrition management in women with gestational diabetes mellitus: A review by ADA's Diabetes Care and Education dietetic practice group. J Am Diet Assoc. 1995;95:460-467.
- Franz MJ, Horton ES, Bantle JP, Beebe CA, Brunzell JD, Coulston AM, Henry RR, Hoogwerf BJ, Stacpoole PW. Nutrition principles for the management of diabetes and related complications. Diabetes Care 1994; 17:490-518.
- Gunderson EP. Intensive nutrition therapy for gestational diabetes. Rationale and current issues. Diabetes Care 1997;20:221-225.
- Langer O. Maternal glycemic criteria for insulin therapy in gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 1998; 21 (suppl 2): B91-B98.