Heart Failure (HF) Systematic Review (2006-2008)
Welcome to the Heart Failure project site. This project was published in 2008. Highlights of this project include:
- Target population of adults
- Six (6) sub-topic areas. Use the links on the left to access the evidence analysis questions and results.
- Evidence-based nutrition practice guidelines were released in 2008.
- Several resources were developed. Expand the Project Resources section below for more information.
This project is scheduled to be updated in 2015.
- Project Team
The following individuals contributed their valuable time and expertise to this project:
- Toni Kuehneman, MS, RD, LMNT, Chair
- Mark A. Dinga, MEd, RD, LDN
- Patricia Davidson, DCN, RD, CDE
- Rita A. Frickel, MS, RD, LMNT
- Mary Beth Russell, RD, LN, CDE
- KC Wright,MS, RD, LD
- Mikelle C. McCoin, MPH, RD
- Ellen D. Parham, PhD, RD, LD
- Cinda S. Chima, MS, RD, LD
- Joan A. Pleuss, MS, RD, CDE, CD
- Toni Tucker, MA, RD
- Linda Young, MS, RD, LMNT
- Sheri Rowland, APRN
- Patricia Splett, PhD, MPH, RD, FADA
- Donna Schultz, RN
- Allen Anderson, MD
- Deborah Cummins, PhD
- Kari Kren, MPH, RD
- Esther Myers, PhD, RD
- Laurie Sweet, MHA, MS, RD, LD
Disclosures of Potential Conflicts of Interest
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Commission on Dietetic Registration
: In the interest of full disclosure, the Academy has adopted the policy of revealing relationships workgroup members have with companies that sell products or services that are relevant to this topic. Workgroup members are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest by completing the Academy Conflict of Interest Form. It should not be assumed that these financial interests will have an adverse impact on the content, but they are noted here to fully inform readers.
- None of the workgroup members listed above disclosed potential conflicts.
- Project Resources
The following resources were developed from this project:
- Heart Failure Toolkit - this toolkit is designed to assist the registered dietitian in applying the Academy's Heart Failure Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline. The toolkit includes resources such as sample documentation forms, including a summary report form for communicating nutrition care to physicians; two case studies; an encounter process outline; an appendix on heart failure basics and outcomes monitoring forms with imbedded formulas and graphs. It also incorporates the Academy Nutrition Care Process and Standardized Language for patient/client care. Click to order.
- Heart Failure Guideline Presentation - this 37-slide MS PowerPoint presentation includes all the recommendations and ratings of the Heart Failure 2008 Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guideline. Ideal for you to use for meetings, in-service presentations and classes (not designed for the consumer). Click to order.
- A Discussion on Vitamins and Dietary Supplements as they relate to Heart Health - This brochure is designed for the general public. Are there vitamins or other dietary supplements that can help heart health? This brochure takes a look at what works and what doesn't. It also looks at other heart disease risk factors. Click to order.