Are the measured energy needs of patients with testicular cancer undergoing chemotherapy different from estimated needs?
One small positive quality RCT examined the energy needs of testicular patients undergoing chemotherapy while receiving TPN plus spontaneous intake or oral diet alone. The mean predicted REE using HBE was similar to measured REE only in the pre-treatment TPN group. The mean predicted and measured REE were not similar in the control group pre- and post-treatment or in the post-treatment TPN group. More research is needed to identify the most accurate predictive equation for this population.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
- High (A) means we are very confident that the true effect lies close to that of the estimate of the effect;
- Moderate (B) means we are moderately confident in the effect estimate;
- Low (C) means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited;
- Very Low (D) means we have very little confidence in the effect estimate.
- Ungraded means a grade is not assignable.
Search Plan and Results: Calorie Needs vs. RDA: chemotherapy 2006