Critical Illness (CI) Systematic Review (2009-2012)
Welcome to the Critical Illness project. Highlights of this project include:
- Target population of both adults and children.
- Evidence-based nutrition practice guidelines were published in 2008.
- A position paper and toolkit were released.
Please use the left navigation bar to view the evidence analysis and nutrition practice guidelines.
- Project Team
The following individuals contributed their valuable skills and expertise to this project.
- Ainsley M. Malone, MS, RD, LD, CNSD,Chair
- Pamela Charney, MS, RD, LD, CNSD
- Charlene D. Compher, PhD, RD, FADA, CNSD, LDN
- Dema Halasa-Esper, MS, RD, CNSD
- David C. Frankenfield, MS, RD
- Mary E. Hise Brown, PhD, RD, LD, CNSD
- Kendra K. Kattelmann, PhD, RD, LN
- Mary J.Marian, MS, RD, CNSD
- Susan R. Roberts, MS, RD, LD, CNSD
- Mary K. Russell, MS, RD, LDN, CNSD
- Tami A. Piemonte, MS, RD, LD
- Patti S. Landers, PhD, RD, LD
- Deon Gines, PhD, RD, CNSD
- Charlene Harkisn, EDD, RD, LD, FADA
- Heather Hoffhines, MS, RD, LD
- Andrea Hutchins, PhD, RD
- Keiy Murofushi, MS, RD
- Hope Paul, MS, RD
- Kelly Roehl, MS, RD, CNSD, LDN
- LuAnn Soliah, PhD, RD, LD
Disclosure of Potential Conflict of Interest: In the interest of full disclosure, the Academy has adopted the policy of revealing relationships workgroup members have with companies that sell products or services that are relevant to this topic. Workgroup members are required to disclose potential conflicts of interest by completing the Academy Conflict of Interest Form. It should not be assumed that these financial interests will have an adverse impact on the content, but they are noted here to fully inform readers.
- This evidence analysis portion of this project was funded by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with support from the Dietitians in Nutrition Support Dietetic Practice Group.
- The Guideline was fully funded by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Susan Roberts is employed with Baylor University Medical Center / Aramark Healthcare. She has received Honorarium from Abbott Nutrition and holds memberships with ASPEN.
- Mary K. Russell has consulted for Abbott Nutrition Health Institute.
- Project Resources
The following resources were developed:
- Critical Illness Toolkit - this toolkit is designed to assist the registered dietitian in applying the Academy's Critical Illness Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline. The toolkit includes resources such as the MNT summary of recommendations for critical illness, MNT encounter process, MNT Critical Illness Data Collection Guides, nutrition support case studies, outcomes monitoring Excel forms, equations for predicting critical illness resting metabolic rate, and more. Click to order
- Critical Illness Guideline Presentation - this MS Powerpoint presentation includes all the recommendations and ratings of the Critical Illness 2012 Evidence-based Nutrition Practice Guideline. Ideal for you to use for meetings, in-service presentations and classes (not designed for the consumer). Click to order.