NSP: Food Insecurity and Risk for Malnutrition (2018)
In the pediatric population (in the US), what is the association between food insecurity and risk of malnutrition related to under- or over-nutrition (defined by anthropometrics)?
The preponderance of evidence suggests no association between food insecurity status and underweight.
There are mixed findings regarding the association between food insecurity status and overweight or obesity status, due to heterogeneity in how exposures and outcomes were measured and reported, though large, well-designed cross-sectional studies suggest a potential positive relationship between food insecurity and overweight or obesity status.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: In the pediatric population (in the US), what is the association between food insecurity and risk of malnutrition related to under- or over-nutrition (defined by anthropometrics)?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Bhargava A, Jolliffe D, Howard L. Socio-economic, behavioural and environmental factors predicted body weights and household food insecurity scores in the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study-Kindergarten. The British Journal of Nutrition. 2008; 100:438-444
- Buscemi J, Beech B, Relyea G.. Predictors of obesity in Latino children: acculturation as a moderator of the relationship between food insecurity and body mass index percentile. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2011; 13:149-154.
- Casey P, Simpson P, Gossett J, Bogle M, Champagne C, Connell C, Harsha D, McCabe-Sellers B, Robbins J, Stuff J, Weber J. The association of child and household food insecurity with childhood overweight status. Pediatrics. 2006; 118:e1406-e1413
- Gundersen C, Garasky S, Lohman BJ.. Food insecurity is not associated with childhood obesity as assessed using multiple measures of obesity. The Journal of Nutrition. 2009; 139:1,173-1,178.
- Gundersen C, Lohman BJ, Garasky S, Stewart S, Eisenmann J.. Food security, maternal stressors, and overweight among low-income US children: results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1999-2002). Pediatrics. 2008; 122:e529-e540.
- Holben DH, Taylor CA.. Food insecurity and its association with central obesity and other markers of metabolic syndrome among persons aged 12 to 18 years in the United States. The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2015; 115:536-543.
- Jackson J, Smit E, Branscum A, Gunter K, Harvey M, Manore M, John D.. The Family Home Environment, Food Insecurity, and Body Mass Index in Rural Children. Health Education & Behavior: The Official Publication of the Society for Public Health Education. 2017; 44:648-657.
- Jones S, Jahns L, Laraia B, Haughton B. Lower risk of overweight in school-aged food insecure girls who participate in food assistance: Results from the panel study of income dynamics child development supplement. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine. 2003; 157:780-784
- Jyoti D, Frongillo E, Jones S. Food insecurity affects school children's academic performance, weight gain, and social skills. The Journal of Nutrition. 2005; 135:2,831-2,839
- Kaur J, Lamb M, Ogden C. The Association between Food Insecurity and Obesity in Children-The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2015; 115:751-8
- Khan S, Pinckney RG, Keeney D, Frankowski B, Carney JK.. Prevalence of food insecurity and utilization of food assistance program: an exploratory survey of a Vermont middle school. The Journal of School Health. 2011; 81:15-20.
- Kral TVE, Chittams J, Moore RH. Relationship between food insecurity, child weight status, and parent-reported child eating and snacking behaviors. J Spec Pediatr Nurs. 2017; 22:
- Martin K, Ferris A.. Food insecurity and gender are risk factors for obesity. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 2007; 39:31-36
- Matheson DM, Varady J, Varady A, Killen JD.. Household food security and nutritional status of Hispanic children in the fifth grade. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2002; 76:210-217.
- Melgar-Quiñonez H, Kaiser L. Relationship of child-feeding practices to overweight in low-income Mexican-American preschool-aged children. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2004; 104:1,110-1,119.
- Nguyen BT, Ford CN, Yaroch AL, Shuval K, Drope J.. Food security and weight status in children: interactions with food assistance programs. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2017; 52:S138-S144.
- Papas M, Trabulsi J, Dahl A, Dominick G. Food Insecurity Increases the Odds of Obesity Among Young Hispanic Children. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2016; 18:1,046-1,052.
- Rose D, Bodor J. Household food insecurity and overweight status in young school children: results from the Early Childhood Longitudinal Study. Pediatrics 2006; 117:464-473.
- Shanafelt A, Hearst M, Wang Q, Nanney M. Food Insecurity and Rural Adolescent Personal Health, Home, and Academic Environments. The Journal of School Health. 2016; 86:472-480
- Sharkey J, Nalty C, Johnson C, Dean W. Children's very low food security is associated with increased dietary intakes in energy, fat, and added sugar among Mexican-origin children (6-11 y) in Texas border Colonias. BMC Pediatrics. 2012; 12:16
- Speirs K, Fiese B.. The Relationship Between Food Insecurity and BMI for Preschool Children. Maternal and Child Health Journal. 2016; 20:925-933.
- Trapp C, Burke G, Gorin A, Wiley J, Hernandez D, Crowell R, Grant A, Beaulieu A, Cloutier M. The relationship between dietary patterns, body mass index percentile and household food security in young urban children. Childhood Obesity (Print). 2015; 11:148-155
- Whitaker RC, Orzol SM.. Obesity among US urban preschool children: relationships to race, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 2006; 160:578-584.
Search Plan and Results: NSP: Food Insecurity and Malnutrition Risk 2017