Celiac Disease (CD) Guideline (2021)
Celiac Disease (CD) 2021 Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline
This guideline is intended for use by the RDN or international equivalent working with individuals with celiac disease. It is based on the systematic review published here in 2021. Guideline topics addressed are:
- Routine Nutrition Assessment
- Medical Nutrition Therapy to Improve Outcomes
- FODMAP Dietary Pattern
- Gluten-Free DIet
- Inclusion of Gluten-free Oats
- Addition of Vitamin and Mineral Supplements
- Prebiotics or Probiotics Supplementation
The guideline information is divided into several sections:
- Executive Summary of Recommendations - Recommendations and ratings by Nutrition Care Process category.
- Guideline Introduction - Overview; Scope, Statement of Intent, Identifying Information
- Guideline Methodology - Methods and References
- Guideline Recommendations & Supporting Evidence - Guideline recommendations with conditional statements and strength rating
- Benefits and RIsks/Harms of Implementation
- Dissemination and Implementation of the Guideline
Use the left navigation bar to access all of the guideline content.
Printing Guideline Materials
The guideline material is designed to be viewed online using the links in the left navigation bar. Individual pages can be printed using the print icon on each page. To print entire sections of the guideline in PDF format, please click below:
- CD 2021 Introduction (1 page)
- CD 2021 Executive Summary (5 pages)
- CD 2021 Recommendations (23 pages)
The report will be generated in PDF format. We recommend Adobe Reader Version 2019 (download for free from www.adobe.com).
General Information and Disclaimer
This nutrition practice guideline is meant to serve as a general framework for handling clients with particular health problems. The independent skill and judgement of the health care provider must always dictate treatment decisions.