HTN: Garlic (2007)
What is the relationship between garlic intake and blood pressure in healthy and hypertensive adults?
The effect of garlic intake on blood pressure is unclear, as the results of five studies are conflicting.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
- High (A) means we are very confident that the true effect lies close to that of the estimate of the effect;
- Moderate (B) means we are moderately confident in the effect estimate;
- Low (C) means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited;
- Very Low (D) means we have very little confidence in the effect estimate.
- Ungraded means a grade is not assignable.
Evidence Summary: What evidence suggests a relationship between garlic intake and blood pressure in healthy and hypertensive adults?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Dhawan V, Jain S. Effect of garlic supplementation on oxidized low density lipoproteins and lipid peroxidation in patients of essential hypertension. Mol Cell Biochem. 2004; 266 (1-2): 109-115.
- Durak I, Kavutcu M, Aytac B, Avci A, Devrim E, Ozbek H, Ozturk HS. Effects of garlic extract consumption on blood lipid and oxidant/antioxidant parameters in humans with high blood cholesterol. J Nutr Biochem. 2004; 15 (6): 373-377.
- Qidwai W, Qureshi R, Hasan SN, Azam SI. Effect of dietary garlic (Allium sativum) on the blood pressure in humans - a pilot study. J Pak Med Assoc. 2000; 50 (6): 204-207.
- Turner B, Molgaard C, Marckmann P. Effect of garlic (Allium sativum) powder tablets on serum lipids, blood pressure and arterial stiffness in normo-lipidaemic volunteers: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Br J Nutr. 2004; 92 (4): 701-706.
- Zhang XH, Lowe D, Giles P, Fell S, Board AR, Baughan JA, Connock MJ, Maslin DJ. A randomized trial of the effects of garlic oil upon coronary heart disease risk factors in trained male runners. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2001; 12 (1): 67-74.
Search Plan and Results: Garlic 2005