HTN: Vitamins (2015)
What is the relationship of vitamin D status or intake (from supplements or food sources) and hypertension in adults with hypertension?
Data from observational and intervention studies are inconclusive regarding the association between vitamin D status or intake and blood pressure in individuals with hypertension.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
- High (A) means we are very confident that the true effect lies close to that of the estimate of the effect;
- Moderate (B) means we are moderately confident in the effect estimate;
- Low (C) means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited;
- Very Low (D) means we have very little confidence in the effect estimate.
- Ungraded means a grade is not assignable.
Evidence Summary: What is the relationship of vitamin D status or intake (from supplements or food sources) and hypertension in adults with hypertension?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Bernini G, Carrara D, Bacca A, Carli V, Virdis A, Rugani I, Duranti E, Ghiadoni L, Bernini M, Taddei S. Effect of acute and chronic vitamin D administration on systemic renin angiotensin system in essential hypertensives and controls. J Endocrinol Invest. 2013; 36: 216-220.
- Fiscella K, Winters P, Tancredi D, Franks P. Racial disparity in blood pressure: is vitamin D a factor? J Gen Intern Med 2011;26(10):1105-11.
- Larsen T, Mose FH, Bech JN, Hansen AB, Pedersen EB. Effect of cholecalciferol supplementation during winter months in patients with hypertension: A randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Hypertens. 2012; 25: 1,215-1,222.
- Mateus-Hamdan L, Beauchet O, Bouvard B, Legrand E, Fantino B, Annweiler C. High parathyroid hormone, but not low vitamin D concentrations, expose elderly inpatients to hypertension. Geriatr Gerontol. 2013; 13: 783-791.
- Vacek JL, Vanga SR, Good M, Lai SM, Lakkireddy D, Howard PA. Vitamin D deficiency and supplementation and relation to cardovascular health. Am J Cardiol. 2012; 109: 359-363.
- Wamberg L, Kampmann U, Stodkilde-Jorgensen H, Rejnmark L, Pedersen SB, Richelsen B. Effects of vitamin D supplementation on body fat accumulation, inflammation, and metabolic risk factors in obese adults with low vitamin D levels: Results from a randomized trial. Eur J Intern Med. 2013; 24: 644-649.
- Witham MD, Price RJ, Struthers AD, Donnan PT, Messow CM, Ford I, McMurdo ME. Cholecalciferol treatment to reduce blood pressure in older patients with isolated systolic hypertension the vitDISH randomized controlled trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Oct 14; 173(18): 1,672-1,679.
Search Plan and Results: HTN: Vitamin D 2014