Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Guideline (2020)
Cystic FIbrosis (CF) Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline
This guideline is intended for use by the RDN or international equivalent working with individuals with CF. It is intended to address gaps in current evidence-based practice guidelines and to address key questions that have arisen in CF nutrition practice due to developments in CF treatment, particularly CFTR modulation therapy. It is based on the systematic review published here in 2019. Guideline topics addressed are:
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Approach and RDN FTEs
- Nutrition Screening and Assessment
- Dietary Intake
- General Guidance
- Dietary Intake with CFRD or Overweight/Obesity
- Macronutrient Distribution
- Fiber Intake
- Infant Feeding
The guideline information is divided into several sections:
- Executive Summary of Recommendations - Recommendations and ratings by Nutrition Care Process category.
- Guideline Introduction - Overview; Scope, Statement of Intent, Guideline Methods, Implementation of the Guideline; Benefits and Harms of Implementing the Recommendations
- Guideline Major Recommendations & Supporting Evidence - Guideline recommendations with conditional statements and strength rating
- Guideline Identifying Information & References - additional information
Use the links in the left navigation bar to access all of the guideline content.
Printing Guideline Materials
The guideline material is designed to be viewed online using the links in the left navigation bar. Individual pages can be printed using the print icon on each page. To print entire sections of a guideline in PDF format, please click below:
- CF 2019 Introduction (12 pages)
- CF 2019 Executive Summary (4 pages)
- CF 2019 Recommendations (28 pages)
The report will be generated in PDF format. We recommend Adobe Reader Version 2019 (download for free from www.adobe.com).
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: 2020 Cystic Fibrosis Evidence Analysis Center Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline. McDonald CM, Alvarez JA, et al. 2020 J Acad Nutr Diet. Article in Press
General Information and Disclaimer
This nutrition practice guideline is meant to serve as a general framework for handling clients with particular health problems. The indenpendent skill and judgement of the health care provider must always dictate treatment decisions.