CF: Assessment: Energy Expenditure (2017-19)
In participants with CF, what is the accuracy of using energy requirement formulas to determine resting energy expenditure (REE) compared to indirect calorimetry or doubly labeled water?
In one study of children with cystic fibrosis (CF) 6-9 years who were primarily pancreatic insufficient, CF-specific energy equations over-estimated needs (122-136%) compared to doubly labeled water. Energy estimated with the IOM active lifestyle formula and RDA were similar to measured values, though these equations did not adjust for individuals’ activity level.
In adults with end-stage CF, Harris-Benedict, Schofield and WHO 1985 energy expenditure equations underestimated energy needs compared to indirect calorimetry (76-78% in pre-lung transplant and 90-91% in post-lung transplant). Underestimation was greater in those with more severe disease.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: In participants with CF, what is the accuracy of using energy requirement formulas to determine resting energy expenditure (REE) compared to indirect calorimetry or doubly labeled water?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Hollander F, Kok A, de Roos N, Belle-van Meerkerk G, van de Graaf E. Prediction Equations Underestimate Resting Energy Expenditure in Patients With End-Stage Cystic Fibrosis. Nutrition in Clinical Practice 2017; 32:116-121
- Moudiou T, Galli-Tsinopoulou A, Vamvakoudis E, Nousia-Arvanitakis S. Resting energy expenditure in cystic fibrosis as an indicator of disease severity. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 2007; 6:131-6
- Moudiou T, Galli-Tsinopoulou A, Nousia-Arvanitakis S. Effect of exocrine pancreatic function on resting energy expenditure in cystic fibrosis. Acta Paediatrica (Oslo, Norway : 1992) 2007; 96:1521-5
- Trabulsi J, Ittenbach R, Schall J, Olsen I, Yudkoff M, Daikhin Y, Zemel B, Stallings V. Evaluation of formulas for calculating total energy requirements of preadolescent children with cystic fibrosis. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2007; 85:144-51
Search Plan and Results: CF: Energy Expenditure 2018