COPD: Implementation of the Guideline (2019)
Implementation of the Guideline
The publication of this guideline is an integral part of the plans for disseminating the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics evidence-based recommendations on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) to all dietetics practitioners engaged in, teaching about or researching GDM, as quickly as possible. National implementation workshops at various sites around the country and during the Academy Food Nutrition Conference Expo (FNCE) are planned. Additionally, there are recommended dissemination and adoption strategies for local use of the Academy COPD Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline.
The guideline development team recommended multi-faceted strategies to disseminate the guideline and encourage its implementation. Management support and learning through social influence are likely to be effective in implementing guidelines in dietetic practice. However, additional interventions may be needed to achieve real changes in practice routines.
Implementation of the COPD Guideline will be achieved by announcement at professional events, presentations and training. Some strategies include:
- National and local events: State dietetic association meetings and media coverage will help launch the guideline
- Local feedback adaptation: Presentation by members of the work group at peer review meetings and opportunities for CEUs for courses will be provided
- Education initiatives: The guideline and supplementary resources will be freely available for use in the education and training of dietetic interns and students in approved Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) programs
- Champions: Local champions will be identified and expert members of the guideline team will prepare articles for publication. Resources will be provided that include PowerPoint presentations, full guidelines and pre-prepared case studies.
- COPD Guideline Presentation - this 36-slide PowerPoint presentation includes the recommendations and ratings for the 2019 COPD guideline. Ideal for in-service presentations, staff training sessions and classes (not designed for patient or client use). Download for free.
Specific distribution strategies include:
Publication in full: The guideline will be available electronically at the Academy Evidence Analysis Library website (www.andeal.org) and will be announced to all the dietetic practice groups. The Academy Evidence Analysis Library will also provide downloadable supporting information.
|Proceed to Benefits Risks/Harms||Return to COPD Home Page|