VLBW: Guideline Recommendations and Supporting Evidence (2020)
Guideline recommendations are the essense of evidence-based guidelines and provide a course of action for the practioiner based on the evidence. Below, you will find a list of the VLBW Preterm Infant (2020) Recommendations.
The Academy categorizes Recommendations in terms of either Imperative or Conditional statements. Conditional statements clearly define a specific situation or specific sub-population with the larger guideline population. Imperative statements are broadly applicable to the target population without restraints on their application. Each recommendation receives a rating, using the scale Strong, Fair, Weak, Consensus, or Insufficient Evidence. The rating for the recommendation is primarily based on the strenght of the supporting evidence but also the balance between benefits or harms anticipated and the clinial practice implications when the statment is follows. Learn more
Resources Available with Each Recommendation
In addition to the recommendation statement and strength rating, you will find on each recommendation page:
- A brief narrative summary of the evidence analyzed to reach the recommendation
- A statement of justification, or reason for the strength of the recommendation
- Detailed information on the evidence supporting the recommendations and background narrative (available in the Supporting Evidence section toward the bottom of each recommendation page)
- A reference list at the end of each recommendation page that includes all the sources used in the evidence analysis for the particular recommendation (each reference is hyperlinked to a summary of the article analyzed in the evidence analysis).
Download the Recommendation Rationale Table (PDF). Click on the blue recommendation title below to view each recommendation and supporting information.
- VLBW: Protein Amount
- VLBW: Type of Fat
- VLBW: Human Milk Fortification
- VLBW: Formula Enrichment
- VLBW: Mother's Milk
- VLBW: Human Milk (Mother's and Donor)
- VLBW: Mother's Milk Supplementation
|Proceed to Benefits & Risks/Harms of Implementation||Return to VLBW Home Page|