AWM: Dissemination and Implementation (2022)
Dissemination and implementation of guidelines is very important for the Academy. Dissemination focuses on spreading the knowledge and information from these guidelines to stakeholders via various means. Implementation, on the other hand, involves integration of the evidence-based interventions into practice, and includes examination of barriers and facilitators that can influence the effectiveness of these evidence-based recommendations.
The publication of this guideline on the EAL website is an integral aspect of this Evidence-Based Practice Guideline (EBPG) to dietetics practitioners engaged in, teaching, or researching adult weight management.
The guideline development team recommended multi-faceted strategies to disseminate the guideline and encourage its implementation. The EBPG will be disseminated to members through announcements at professional events, social media, list-serves, newsletters, spokespeople, and notification to Academy groups, policy makers and external organizations. Dissemination will be achieved by announcements at professional events, on social media, available on the Evidence Analysis Library website and published in a professional journal, as well as various presentations. The guideline and supplementary resources will be freely available for members to use in the education and training of dietetic interns and students in approved Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) programs.
Specific distribution strategies include:
- Publication in full: The guideline and supporting systematic review are available electronically at the Academy Evidence Analysis Library website (www.andeal.org). The Academy Evidence Analysis Library will also provide downloadable supporting information.
- Scientific publication
- The EBPG will be published in a peer-reviewed journal, such as the Journal of the Academy and Nutrition and Dietetics.
- The systematic review supporting this guideline is published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (JAND Published June 30, 2022. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2022.03.014)
- Results from the systematic review were presented in a poster at the Food and Nutrition Conference and Expo (FNCE) 2021.
- Results from the systematic review were presented in an oral session at the Weight Management Symposium in 2022.
- A full session on the completed guideline and how it can be applied to practice will be presented at FNCE 2022.
- A poster about the methods for stakeholder feedback was presented at the Guideline International Network 2022.
Please see the “Considerations for Application” sections of the guideline recommendations for tools and expert advice regarding how to implement recommendations. Implementation resources described throughout the guideline include:
- Nutrition Care Process for Overweight and Obesity Figure (PDF)
- Interprofessional Team Figure (PDF)
- Dietary Approaches Table (PDF)
- IDEA Table (PDF)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics 2022 Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance (JAND 2022 122(10):1940-1954:E45)
- Nutrition Care Manual (www.nutritioncaremanual.org)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Scope of Practice Decision Algorithm (www.eatrightpro.org)
- IDEA Resource Hub (www.eatrightpro.org)
- Intensive Behavioral Therapy for Obesity (www.eatrightstore.org)
- Payment Guidance (www.eatrightpro.org)
- National Organization of Blacks in Dietetics and Nutrition Member Resource Library (www.nobidan.org)
- USDA MyPlate for Adults (www.myplate.gov)
Guideline Implementation is tested by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Nutrition Research Network. Learn more →
|Return to AWM Home|