DM: Implementation of the Guideline (2015)
This publication of this guideline is an integral part of the plans for getting the Academy MNT evidence-based recommendations on medical nutrition therapy for type 1 and type 2 diabetes to all dietetics practitioners engaged in, teaching about or researching the topic. National implementation workshops at various sites around the country and during the Academy Food Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE) are planned. Additionally, there are recommended dissemination and adoption strategies for local use of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Diabetes Type 1 and 2 (2015) Evidence-Based Nutrition Practice Guideline.
The guideline development team recommended multi-faceted strategies to disseminate the guideline and encourage its implementation. Management support and learning through social influence are likely to be effective in implementing guidelines in dietetic practice. However, additional interventions may be needed to achieve real change in practice routines.
Implementation of the guideline will be achieved by announcement at professional events, presentations and training. Some strategies include:
- National and local events: State dietetic association meetings and media coverage will help launch the guideline
- Local feedback adaptation: Presentation by members of the work group at peer review meetings and opportunities for CEUs for courses completed
- Education initiatives: The guideline and supplementary resources will be freely available for use in the education and training of dietetic interns and students in approved Commission on Accreditation of Dietetics Education (CADE) programs
- Champions: Local champions will be identified and expert members of the guideline team will prepare articles for publications. Resources will be provided that include PowerPoint presentations, full guidelines and pre-prepared case studies.
- Practical tools: Some of the tools that will be developed to help implement the guideline include specially-designed resources such as clinical algorithms, slide presentations, training and toolkits.
Specific distribution strategies include:
Publication in full: The guideline is available electronically at the Academy Evidence Analysis Library website and announced to all Academy Dietetic Practice Groups. The Academy Evidence Analysis Library will also provide downloadable supporting information and links to relevant position papers.