T1DM: Dietary Patterns (2023)
In children and adolescents (6-19 years old) living with type 1 diabetes, what is the effect of dietary pattern-focused interventions (e.g.: Mediterranean, DASH, low glycemic index) compared to usual care on A1C?
In children and adolescents (6-19 years old) living with type 1 diabetes, effects of dietary patterns like Mediterranean, DASH, and low glycemic index on glycemic outcomes are inconclusive.
Grade: Very Low (D)
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
- Moderate (B) means we are moderately confident in the effect estimate;
- Low (C) means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited;
- Very Low (D) means we have very little confidence in the effect estimate.
- Ungraded means a grade is not assignable.
Evidence Summary: In children and adolescents (6-19 years old) living with type 1 diabetes, what is the effect of dietary pattern-focused interventions (e.g.: Mediterranean, DASH, low glycemic index) compared to usual care on A1C?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Barnes T, Crandell J, Bell R, Mayer-Davis E, Dabelea D, Liese A. Change in DASH diet score and cardiovascular risk factors in youth with type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Nutrition & Diabetes 2013; 3:e91
- Costacou T, Crandell J, Kahkoska A, Liese A, Dabelea D, Lawrence J, Pettitt D, Reynolds K, Mayer-Davis E, Mottl A. Dietary Patterns Over Time and Microalbuminuria in Youth and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: The SEARCH Nutrition Ancillary Study. Diabetes Care 2018; 41:1615-1622
- Sauder K, Stafford J, The N, Mayer-Davis E, Thomas J, Lawrence J, Kim G, Siegel K, Jensen E, Shah A, D'Agostino R, Dabelea D. Dietary strategies to manage diabetes and glycemic control in youth and young adults with youth-onset type 1 and type 2 diabetes: The SEARCH for diabetes in youth study. Pediatric Diabetes 2020; 21:1093-1101
- Zhong V, Lamichhane A, Crandell J, Couch S, Liese A, The N, Tzeel B, Dabelea D, Lawrence J, Marcovina S, Kim G, Mayer-Davis E. Association of adherence to a Mediterranean diet with glycemic control and cardiovascular risk factors in youth with type I diabetes: the SEARCH Nutrition Ancillary Study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2016; 70:802-807
Search Plan and Results: T1DM: Interventions 2023