CKD: Energy Requirements (2001)
Energy Requirements and CKD (2001)
What are the energy requirements for patients with chronic kidney disease? (2001 CD)
Energy requirements in chronic kidney disease without dialysis are similar to that of healthy individuals and are influenced by age, sex, and physical activity. Resting metabolic rates were similar for patients with chronic kidney disease and controls by direct and indirect calorimetry in one cohort study and one cross-sectional study. Nitrogen balance studies using <0.8 g protein/kg/IBW [the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein] reported a neutral or positive nitrogen balance when energy intakes were 35 to 45 kcal/kg/IBW and a negative nitrogen balance when energy intakes were 15 to 25 kcal/kg/IBW. Therefore, energy intakes should be greater in patients following diets containing less than the RDA for protein.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: Chronic Kidney Disease and Patient Energy Requirements (2001)
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Bernhard J, Beaufrere B, Laville M, Fouque D. Adaptive response to a low-protein diet in predialysis chronic renal failure patients. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2001;12:1249-1254.
- Giordano M, de Feo P, Lucidi P, de Pascale E, Giordano G, Cirillo D, Dardo G, Signorelli SS, Castellino P. Effects of dietary protein restriction on fibrinogen and albumin metabolism in nephrotic patients. Kidney Int. 2001; 60:235-242.
- Kopple JD, Monteon FJ, Shaib JK. Effect of energy intake on nitrogen metabolism in nondialyzed patients with chronic renal failure. Kidney Int. 1986;29:734-742.
- Kopple JD, Berg R, Houser H, Steinman TI, Teschan P. Nutritional status of patients with different levels of chronic renal insufficiency. Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) Study Group. Kidney Int. 1989; 36(suppl 27): S184-S194.
- Kuhlmann U, Schwickardi M, Trebst R, Lange H. Resting metabolic rate in chronic renal failure. J Renal Nutr 2001; 11:202-206.
- Maroni BJ, Staffeld C, Young VR, Manatunga A, Tom K. Mechanisms permitting nephrotic patients to achieve nitrogen equilibrium with a protein-restricted diet. J Clin Invest. 1997; 10: 2479-2487.
- Monteon FJ, Laidlaw SA, Shaib JK, Kopple JD. Energy expenditure in patients with chronic renal failure. Kidney Int. 1986; 30: 741-747.
- Schneeweiss B, Graninger W, Stockenhuber F, Druml W, Ferenci P, Eichinger S, Grimm G, Laggner AN, Lenz K. Energy metabolism in acute and chronic renal failure. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990; 52:596-601.