FNCE 2023
Session 357. Providing MNT for the Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes Population: What Does the Evidence Show?
Monday, October 9, 8:30 AM - 9:30 AM

See session information ♦ See EAL review results

  • Assessment
    In obese adults, what is the prediction accuracy and maximum overestimation and understimation errors compared to measured resting metabolic rate when using the Mifflin-St.Jeor formula?
    • Conclusion

      One study of high research quality design reported that the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation accurately predicted RMR using actual body weight within +/- 10% of measured RMR in 70% of obese individuals. Of the remaining 30%, 9% were overestimations and 21% were underestimations. The individual error range was a maximum overestimate of 15% to a maximum underestimate of 20%.

    • Grade: II
      • Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
      • Grade II is Fair;
      • Grade III is Limited/Weak;
      • Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
      • Grade V is Not Assignable.
      • High (A) means we are very confident that the true effect lies close to that of the estimate of the effect;
      • Moderate (B) means we are moderately confident in the effect estimate;
      • Low (C) means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited;
      • Very Low (D) means we have very little confidence in the effect estimate.
      • Ungraded means a grade is not assignable.