DLM: Elevated Triglycerides, Carbohydrate and Fat (2007)
What is the proportion of carbohydrate to fat that lowers triglycerides in overweight and normal weight hypertriglyceridemic patients?
The ideal macronutrient composition for lowering triglycerides in patients with hypertriglyceridemia (TG>150mg/dL) is unclear. The four studies available are primarily of men, in free-living conditions, consuming self-selected diets with dietary guidance. These small sample size studies varied in duration, TG levels and had discrepant findings.
Similar research has been done in patients with the metabolic syndrome that would offer guidance in this area.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: What is the proportion of carbohydrate to fat that lowers triglycerides in overweight and normal weight hypertriglyceridemic patients?
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Ellingsen I, Hjermann I, Abdelnoor M, Hjerkinn EM, Tonstad S. Dietary and antismoking advice and ischemic heart disease mortality in men with normal or high fasting triacylglycerol concentrations: a 23-y follow-up study, Am. J. Clin. Nutr., 78:935-40, 2003.
- Jacobs B, De Angelis-Schierbaum G, Egert S, Assmann G, Kratz M. Individual serum triglyceride responses to high-fat and low-fat diets differ in men with modest and severe hypertriglyceridemia, J. Nutr., 134: 1400-1405, 2004.
- Pieke B, von Eckardstein A, Gulbahce E, Chirazi A, Schulte H, Assmann G, Wahrburg U. Treatment of hypertriglyceridemia by two diets rich either in unsaturated fatty acids or in carbohydrates: effects on lipoprotein subclasses, lipolytic enzymes, lipid transfer proteins, insulin and leptin, Int. J. Obesity 24: 1286-1296, 2000.
- Zoppo A, Maggi FM, Catapano AL. A successful dietary treatment fails to normalize plasma triglyceride postprandial response in type IV patients, Atherosclerosis, 146:19-23, 1999.
Search Plan and Results: Carbohydrate and fat intake and and triglyceride lowering 2005