DLM: BMI (2001)
The ADA 2001 Hyperlipidemia MNT Evidence-based guide for practice was originally published in a compact disk (CD) format. This 2001 project was published to the online Evidence Analysis Library for the benefit of ADA members, even though it does not follow the current online format and may be missing some of the components (all of the components of current evidence analysis include: question, conclusion, grade, search plan and results, evidence summary, overview table, worksheets, and quality check lists.)
BMI (Hyperlipidemia 2001)
There is a positive linear relationship between BMI and CVD risk factors. Waist circumference or WHR are better predictors of CHD and risk for CVD death than BMI especially in those >65 years of age.
This information is from the 2001 Hyperlipidemia project.
- Grade I means there is Good/Strong evidence supporting the statement;
- Grade II is Fair;
- Grade III is Limited/Weak;
- Grade IV is Expert Opinion Only;
- Grade V is Not Assignable.
Evidence Summary: BMI (Hyperlipidemia 2001)
- Quality Rating Summary
For a summary of the Quality Rating results, click here.
- Baik I, Acheria A, Rimm EB, Govannucci E, Spiegelman D, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC. Adiposity and mortality in men. Am J Epid. 2000; 152: 264-271.
- Calle, EE, Thun MJ, Petrelli JM, Rodriguez C, Heath CW. Body-mass index and mortality in a prospective cohort of US adults. N Engl J Med. 1999; 341: 1,097-1,105.
- Denke MA, Sempos CT, Grundy SM. Excess body weight. An underrecognized contributor to high blood cholesterol levels in white American men. Arch Int Med. 1993; 153: 1,093-1,103.
- Folsom AR, Kaye SA, Sellers TA, Hong CP, Cerhan JR, Potter JE, Prineas RJ. Body fat distribution and 5-year risk of death in older women. JAMA. 1993;269:483-487.
- Iwao S, Iwai N, Muller DC, Elahi D, Shimokata H, Andres R. Effect of aging on the relationship between multiple risk factors and waist circumference. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48: 788-794.
- Newton KM, LaCroiz AZ. Association of body mass index with reinfarction and survival after first myocardial infarction in women. J Women’s Health. 1996;5:433-444.
- Rexrode KM, Carey VJ, Hennekens CH, Walters EE, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Willett WC, Manson JE. Abdominal adiposity and coronary heart disease in women. JAMA. 1998; 280: 1,843-1,848.
- Stevens J, Cai J, Pamuk E, Williamson D, Thun M, Wood J. The effect of age on the association between body-mass index and mortality. N Engl J Med. 1998; 338 (1): 1-7.